Community center Dobri Voinikov
Community center Dobri Voinikov was founded in the spring of 1856 by Sava Dobroplodni, and boasts a rich history. Along with other community centres in Svishtov and Lom it lays the basis of community activity in Bulgaria. A performance of the adapted comedy “Mihail Mishkoed” on August 15th 1856 lays the foundations of Bulgarian theater, as well as to the Art gallery, the artists’ and the writers’ society via the Mayakovski literary club. The first musical theater performed in 1914 laid the foundations of Bulgarian musical theater. The first Bulgarian library for children also opened doors.
The building was designed by the French architect Mercier and built in 1898.
Bezisten is a cultural monument belonging to the period of the late Middle Ages.
Traders from Dubrovnik constructed the building in 1529 for their own needs. Once it was located in the very centre of Shumen, in the proximity of the resting place and Tombul mosque. Its name comes from Persian and means “covered market”. It was built with stone blocks. Plant, geometric and hand-written signs can be seen on its surface. In different time periods the building used to function as a covered market, weapons storage and restaurant.
The Tower of the Old Clock
Among all clock towers from 17th c., the Tower of the Old Clock in Shumen is one of the oldest in Bulgaria. The verse written inscription carved in 1740 on its surface is one of the most impressive clock tower signs, enchanting with its witty and poetic narrative. The tower has a simplified clock mechanism which has worked non-stop for more than 270 years. The sound of a ringing bell used to count round the clock the working hours and they were observed strictly by all shopkeepers.
There’s a built-in fountain within its foundations – an eternal symbol of life meaning “water is the liveliest thing ever”. On the opposite coast of the Poroina river simultaneously was constructed Tombul Mosque. Because of the presence of the clock it was temporarily called “Sahat camisi”.
It was built in 1744 by limestone ashlar stone, and has a richly ornated facade. Initially it was covered with lead tiles where its original name came from. The Arabic for lead is “kurshun”.
147 Syedinenie Str.
The house was built before 1870 and was included as part of its owner’s testament together with a vineyard and a garden for the maintenance of the first school for girls in Bulgaria. It has existed there for 20 years until 1890. The people of Shumen named the school after the donor Andrey Rankov. Nowadays it is The Home of the Teacher.
68, Simeon Veliki Blvd
Revival School in Divdyadovo neighborhood
The cell school (a school with tiny, cell-like rooms) is among the first Bulgarian revival schools completely preserved in Bulgaria. It is located in the church’s yard, built the same year with the church in 1846.
Kiliyno uchilishte Street
Tel. +359/ 899 803 882
The House of Dr Verby
Built in 19thc the house was owned by the wealthy local merchant Hadji Verbi. In 1876 his eldest son Evtim Verber graduated medicine from Athens University and worked as a military doctor. His other sons Peter and Dimitar were also famous doctors and had significant contribution to healthcare science.
154 Tzar Osvoboditel Str.
The House of Ovanes Avsharian
The only of its kind completely preserved, three storey house from the middle of the 19th c.
14 Stara Planina Str.
The House of Kutsarovs brothers
That is one of the two houses owned by the brothers Kutsarov. The house is symmetrical on two floors with a bow – window, built at street level around 1872. The ground floor has massive walls of stone. There were three shops with same dimensions therein. They had different functions and their doors and windows were equipped with iron shutters. A school for girls was based in the one of them. A Hungarian chemist named Georgi Silagi opened here a pharmacy furnished and arranged according to the European model. In the beginning of 20th c., here was also the fashion shop of Bula Brenberg. It is the Home of the Union of the Bulgarian Architects since the 1980s.
145, Tsar Osvoboditel Street
The House of Buchevinovi
140 Tzar Osvoboditel Str.
The house of Christo Ganushev
Built in the first quarter of 19th c.
152 Tzar Osvoboditel Str.